Hamamatsu Photonics is set to build a new factory building (Building No 14) at the main factory site (Ichino-cho, Higashi-ku, Hamamatsu City, Japan). Expected to meet the growing sales demand for its opto-semiconductor module products, the groundbreaking ceremony for the new factory building is scheduled to be held on June 26, 2018, and the new factory building will be completed in July 2019.
Hamamatsu Photonics has been supplying opto-semiconductors and module products that combine opto-semiconductors with electronic circuits, optical components and software for a wide variety of fields such as medical diagnosis and treatment, scientific measurements, and automobiles. Recently, there has been vastly increasing demand for opto-semiconductor module products that can easily be assembled directly into equipment that customers manufacture.
Hamamatsu Photonics thus can expect a steady increase in sales of opto-semiconductor products including MPPC (Multi-Pixel Photon Counter) modules for medical imaging devices, mini-spectrometers and optics modules for industrial equipment, and opto-semiconductor module products for automobiles.
In the new factory building, along with consolidating design & development departments for opto-semiconductor module products, which are currently dispersed in different locations at main factory site, they will combine, consolidate and expand production space to enhance the development speed and production capacity of Hamamatsu’s opto-semiconductor module products. The company will also transfer its product warehouse and shipping functions to the new factory building so that all logistics functions including receipt of orders, procurement, warehouse operation and shipping will be clustered together within the main factory site. This will help improve business operational efficiency, information sharing and customer response speed.
The company also plans to boost production capacity of other opto-semiconductors such as image sensors, since free space available in existing factory buildings after clustering departments together in the new factory building will be utilized as space for production processes. Based on its business continuity plan, the new factory building is designed with stronger disaster countermeasures that incorporate earthquake measures and flood measures such as waterproof doors, as well as environmental measures including installation of LED lighting, heat-insulating structures, and solar panels.
The groundbreaking ceremony and details about the new factory building are as follows:
- Ceremony Name: Groundbreaking ceremony for Building No. 14 at the main factory of Hamamatsu Photonics K.K.
- Date: June 26 (Tuesday) 2018, 10:00 A.M.
- Location: 1126-1, Ichino-cho, Higashi-ku, Hamamatsu City, Shizuoka Pref., Japan Planned construction site to the westward side of Building No. 7 at the main factory site
- Building Name: Building No. 14 of main factory
- Location: 1126-1, Ichino-cho, Higashi-ku, Hamamatsu City, Shizuoka Pref., Japan
- Construction period: Scheduled to start in June 2018 and be completed in July 2019
- Operation Start Date: October 2019
- Building Structure: Steel frame construction, 4 floors above ground, 1 floor underground
- Building Size: Building area: 2,441 square meters, total floor area: 9,857 square meters
- Facility Layout: Underground Warehouse 1st floor Distribution area, product warehouse, reception area 2nd floor Production of opto-semiconductor module products, offices 3rd floor Production of opto-semiconductor module products 4th floor Design and evaluation of opto-semiconductor module products,design rooms, conference rooms, rest area/lounge
- Total Construction Cost: Approximately 2.8 billion yen
- Seating Capacity: Approximately 240
- Products: Opto-semiconductor module products
- Production capacity: Approximately 10 billion yen annually (converted to sales figure)